Wind in the spinaker
Position: 1,9.64S , 14,43.51W
Speed: 8 knots, Course: 329 deg.
UTC Time: 28. July 2006 07:59
log 3152
I think Merf's instructions must have paid off since Jon decided that we could put the aysemetric spinaker up. This has increased our boat speed by about 30% so I am a happy bunny. I was getting very bored of the slow pace. It does help that the swell is few and far between and the wave heights are running about 1 metre. Perfect conditions. So now we have a boat that is running to normal again leaving me free to read a little more of my book, think about the forthcoming project in Bournemouth, watch for shooting stars (loads), dolphins (rare), flying fish (every minute) and appreciate how lucky I am to get to do stuff like this.
It was about 32 years ago I crossed the equator at about this spot while on one of the exotic summer holidays my family had the oportunity to take when my dad was at sea. The vessel I was on then was a rather large super tanker powered by 250,000hp engines. Now I am crossing the same equator using the power of the wind. Hey ho.
Looks like we may make a change and head up to the Canaries instead of the Azores. Not too sure yet just an idea that came up in conversation last night. It will be a lot quicker to go to the Canaries. Stopping at the Cape Verdes will only happen on a needs must basis.
Nearly August!
Speed: 8 knots, Course: 329 deg.
UTC Time: 28. July 2006 07:59
log 3152
I think Merf's instructions must have paid off since Jon decided that we could put the aysemetric spinaker up. This has increased our boat speed by about 30% so I am a happy bunny. I was getting very bored of the slow pace. It does help that the swell is few and far between and the wave heights are running about 1 metre. Perfect conditions. So now we have a boat that is running to normal again leaving me free to read a little more of my book, think about the forthcoming project in Bournemouth, watch for shooting stars (loads), dolphins (rare), flying fish (every minute) and appreciate how lucky I am to get to do stuff like this.
It was about 32 years ago I crossed the equator at about this spot while on one of the exotic summer holidays my family had the oportunity to take when my dad was at sea. The vessel I was on then was a rather large super tanker powered by 250,000hp engines. Now I am crossing the same equator using the power of the wind. Hey ho.
Looks like we may make a change and head up to the Canaries instead of the Azores. Not too sure yet just an idea that came up in conversation last night. It will be a lot quicker to go to the Canaries. Stopping at the Cape Verdes will only happen on a needs must basis.
Nearly August!
Comments